November 4th Construction Update
November 4, 2022
Good evening residents and community members,
Please see below important updates on the public realm improvements that are under construction:
- In order to apply the top coat of asphalt on the new portion of Perth Avenue and where it connects to the existing street, Perth Ave will need to be closed in both directions to traffic for one day. This work is tentatively scheduled to occur on Thursday, November 8. No driveway entrances will be blocked because of this work.
- Toronto Hydro is planning on moving their power lines from the old hydro poles to the new hydro poles that have been installed. This work is scheduled to occur Sunday, November 13 and will affect some customer’s power. Toronto Hydro will reach out directly to any impacted customers.
- The new and improved West Toronto Railpath connection has been completed. Because the connection cannot be opened until a number of city processes have been completed, we’re not able to provide an exact re-opening date. That said, Hines and Marlin Spring are working collaboratively with the city to get everything done as soon as possible so the connection can be enjoyed by the community.
Thank you for your continued understanding and patience as we work to complete these public realm improvements on behalf of the city. If you have any questions, please reach out to me directly.
September 14 – Perth Avenue Works
September 14, 2022
As part of the completion of the new portion of Perth Avenue, a section of the old Perth Avenue needs to be re-graded and re-paved from roughly 19 Perth Avenue south to the new section of Perth Ave. The work will start in two to three weeks and will last for approximately two weeks. As a result of this work:
- Perth Avenue from ~25 Perth Avenue to just east of 13 Perth will be one lane of traffic. Flagpeople will be onsite from ~6:30am to 5pm to allow traffic to continue running in both directions. During the evening and weekends, Perth Avenue will be one-way traffic (either northbound or southbound depending on what side of the road is being repaved at that time).
- To allow for the safe completion of this work, on-street parking will be temporarily unavailable from 25 Perth to 13 Perth Avenue. Parking will still be available on the E/W portion of Perth Avenue on the north side when the road returns to a two-lane road just east of the work being done.
- EllisDon will start blocking access to these stalls in advance of the work starting. This will allow EllisDon to start the work on time and complete the work more quickly to limit the impact on the community.
Appropriate signage will be installed to direct pedestrians and drivers during this time.
Thank you for your continued understanding and patience as we work to complete these public realm improvements on behalf of the city.
September 12th Construction Update
September 12, 2022
Due to a concrete shortage as well as a delay in the installation of new hydro poles along the new Perth Avenue, the completion of the new southern section of Perth Avenue and the new West Toronto Railpath connection is delayed 1 month to the end of October of this year. Once this scope of work is completed, and the new Perth Avenue is opened, the temporary free parking lot that Marlin Spring has been providing to the community will be closed and construction will start on the new ½ acre park NW of the Sterling/Perth intersection.
We are trying to complete this work as quickly as we can as we know how beneficial reopening the WTRP connection and the new sidewalks will be to the community. We recently opened a new sidewalk on the south side of Sterling Road between the Sterling/Perth intersection and the Auto BLDG earlier than planned because we’ve heard from the community how difficult this area continues to be to traverse by pedestrians.
WTRP Access Temporary Closure
June 6, 2022
Consistent with the schedule update we provided to the community earlier this year, please note that as of today (June 6, 2022), the temporary WTRP access provided south of the new townhomes on Perth Avenue will be closed until the end of the summer to facilitate the completion of the new permanent WTRP access and the new Perth Avenue realignment. We’ve made every effort to keep the temporary access open for as long as possible, but in order to ensure safe construction the access now needs to be closed.
We will endeavour to complete the work as soon as possible so we can reopen the new access point. We understand how important this access is to the community and are excited to deliver the new and improved permanent connection later this summer.
Thanks and have a great week,
May 24th Construction Update
May 24, 2022
Please note that as of today (May 24, 2022), work has begun to install a new sidewalk on the north side of Sterling Road east of the Sterling Road/Perth Avenue intersection. The work will create a brand new, safe sidewalk and is part of the improved Sterling Road/Perth Avenue intersection that will be delivered later this summer.
In addition, due to a number of work stoppages by various unionized trades, you may have noticed there has been limited construction activity onsite since May 1st. Each trade continues to work through their negotiations and there is no exact timeline on when certain types of work will recommence. That said, not all trades are on strike and therefore work will still continue, albeit more slowly until the work stoppages end.
Thanks and have a great week,
April 14th Construction Update
April 14, 2022
We hope you are enjoying the change in weather and are looking forward to a restful and relaxing long weekend.
We have been hearing concerns about the disruptions caused by the work being completed at the Perth/Sterling intersection and wanted to provide some additional information to the community. The disruptions you’re experiencing are a result of Enbridge installing a new gas line that will service the community and replace the existing line underneath Perth Avenue. We understand that Enbridge has been taking up a lot of the intersection and causing disruption, and we have shared those concerns with Enbridge, but we (Hines and Marlin Spring) have no control over the means and methods of how they complete their work. Thankfully, Enbridge’s installation of the gas line should be completed by the end of next week, and thus their occupation of the area (and valued street parking spots) will go away. Thanks for your patience as this important work is being done, and if you have any further specific concerns about the work please reach out to Enbridge’s Ombudsman (416-495-6155).
Secondly, given it is a long weekend we wanted to let you know that a very limited number of workers, if any, will be on site this weekend working on our buildings. We’ve also been told by Enbridge that they don’t plan to do any work on their gas line over the weekend as well.
Thanks and have a great weekend,
March 28th Construction Update
March 28, 2022
Please note that on Thursday, March 31 the project will be completing the pouring of concrete for the basement of the new parking garage. Given the significant size of this pour, the requirement for it to be continuously poured, and to complete the work by a reasonable time on Thursday evening, the work is commencing at 6 am on Thursday.
This work will result in higher than usual truck traffic on site. To manage the traffic, the safety of the Sterling/Perth intersection, and to ensure that the trucks exit to Dundas Street and not north to Bloor Street, there will be dedicated flag people stationed around the site entrance managing traffic.
BELOW UPDATE SENT ON BEHALF OF ENBRIDGE
Enbridge is currently onsite installing new services that will extend under the new section of Perth Avenue. After completing a portion of their work, Enbridge discovered some damage caused to Perth Avenue. To repair the damage and ensure no further impact, Enbridge will be closing a portion of Perth Avenue (south of 13 Perth to Sterling/Perth intersection) from 7 am to 5 pm on Tuesday, March 29th. This closure will not affect vehicular or pedestrian access to any homes along Perth more than it currently is today. Appropriate signage will be installed to direct traffic during this time.
March 10th Construction Update
March 10, 2022
Please see below a few updates on the Subdivision Improvement works:
- The West Toronto Railpath connection has reopened in a narrower, gravel path condition. As mentioned in the previous update, the connection will remain in its current condition until service connections are installed over the next month and it can be widened.
- Residents living between Perth Avenue and Bloor will have their water shutoff from 8am to 5pm on March 15th to allow a new watermain connection to be installed. Those residents who are affected will receive an additional printed notice from our contractor, EllisDon.
- There will be some construction activity onsite this weekend. Trucks will be delivering gravel that will be dumped over most of the construction site to cover the significant amount of mud. This work will reduce the amount of dirt that our vehicles transfer to the streets in the neighbourhood.
- Lastly, as discussed in the community meeting we are brainstorming names for the new Private Road that will connect Sterling Road (between 128 and 152 Sterling Road) and the new Sterling Road/Perth Avenue intersection. If you have any recommendations, please share them directly with me at firstname.lastname@example.org.